An extra layer of protection for you and your family!
Umbrella Insurance provides additional coverage for losses beyond limits of your underlying policies –liability, personal auto, and watercraft. Lawsuits can happen when you least expect them. If you are sued for an accident or injury to others,
your current underlying coverages may not be enough. Germania’s Umbrella policy can protect you and your family from the unexpected.
What is Umbrella Insurance and why do I need it?
If you are sued because someone was injured in your home or in an automotive or boating accident that you are liable for, your underlying insurance policies may not provide enough liability coverage to protect you and your assets.
Who should have an Umbrella policy?
We encourage individuals with greater risk exposures and more assets to consider obtaining an Umbrella policy.
What will Umbrella coverage cost me?
Generally, the cost of Umbrella coverage is relatively low - usually only a few hundred dollars annually depending on the type and amount of coverage under the policy.
Coverages offered under the Umbrella policy. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage: This generally refers to bodily harm, sickness, disease or death that you caused to the other party involved due to an accident and that you are legally responsible/liable for.
- Property Damage Liability Coverage: This generally means physical damage to, destruction of or loss of use to someone else’s tangible property that you caused and are legally responsible/liable for as a result of some type of
- Personal Injury Coverage: This can provide coverage in the event you are sued for libel, slander, defamation of character, false arrest, etc.
- Coverage for Legal/Defense Costs: This would provide for court and legal fees, etc.
Umbrella coverage is applicable anywhere in the world for people covered under the policy.
Under an Umbrella policy, coverage is provided for:
- Other members of your family and/or household
- Vehicles and boats you own
- Rentals while on vacation
- Your primary residence and other properties you own
- Your volunteer activities
How Umbrella coverage works:
An example of how umbrella coverage would be beneficial:
- You and your spouse are involved in an automobile accident where you are at fault with the total amount of damage in terms of the other person’s injuries and property coming to $600,000. Your auto policy provides coverage up to only $300,000
for their injuries and property damage.
- If you had an Umbrella policy (of $1 million or more), that policy would provide the additional $300,000 needed to cover the other person’s losses. Without the Umbrella policy, you would have to come up with the extra $300,000 on your own.
Contact your local Germania authorized agent if you already have Germania as your primary liability insurer and would like an Umbrella policy to cover you above your current liability limits.